Monday, 24 January 2011
New for 2011 is a series of women's Open Day Meet and Greet rides. Sponsored by Mulebar, they will take place on weekends in the run-up to the league debut on 9th April.
Come and join other women club cyclists on social group rides in different parts of London. The rides will be hosted by different clubs where you can find out more about women's cycling in London and meet like-minded buddies.
You could be a keen cyclist without a club, a club cyclist wanting to guest ride on an all-female club run, a triathlete, a rower or just a curious sporty soul. Come along with your road bike and join us!
Sunday 30th January - Surrey ride with Kingston Wheelers
- meet at Laithwaite's parking lot 78-80 Portsmouth Road, Surbiton, Surrey KT6 5PT
- departing 9:15am for 35-40 miles with cafe stop at Boxhill National Trust cafe (alternative flatter route if there is risk of ice in the hills)
Sunday 6th February - Kent ride with Dulwich Paragon
- meet at Cafe St Germain, Crystal Palace Parade, SE19 1UD at 9am (earlier if you want a coffee)
-departing 9:15am for 30 miles through Kent lanes at 14-15mph. Cafe stop after the ride in Crystal Palace (Cafe Paradou).
Terrain is undulating
Sunday 20th February - Windsor ride with London Dynamo
- meet at Richmond Park cafe, Roehampton Gate/Priory Road
- depart for Windsor at 9am via Hampton Court, Chertsey, Virginia Water
- stop at ~11am in Chocolate Hotel Coffee Shop, Windsor (bail out point at Windsor train station!)
- arrive back in Richmond Park ~1pm
- terrain is flat - suitable for beginners
Sunday 6th March - Hertfordshire ride with London Phoenix
- meet at train stations in Potters Bar (9.15am) or Hertford North (10am) [regular service to/from Kings X]
- Potters Bar loop = 50miles; Hertford North loop = 31miles; pace is 14mph
- cafe stop just over half way through ride at Emily's Tea Shop, Whitwell
- terrain is undulating to hilly
Latest: Trains will not be stopping at Potters Bar. Trains will still be going to Hertford North. Those planning on meeting at Potters Bar should get there by alternative means of transport rather than by train.
Saturday 12th March - Surrey ride with Addiscombe CC
- meet at Coulsdon South train station at 9am [regular service to/from London Bridge]
- depart at 9.15am for a 35 mile ride through the Surrey lanes, returning to Croydon
- cafe stop at Charlwood Pineshop Cafe and additional (optional) stop at Nonna Rosa's Cafe, Coulsdon
- terrain is flat/gently undulating - pace is 14mph
Sunday 20th March - Richmond Park training ride with Pearson CC
- meet at 8.15am for an 8.30am start at Pavilion Cafe, Priory Lane, Richmond Park just inside Roehampton Gate
- it will be a basic racing skills session for girls who are new to racing or just want to practice their racing skills
- the session will consist of laps of Richmond Park (undulating 7-mile loops) and will last 1.5hrs, followed by coffee stop at the cafe.
Proposed Skills Session
· warm up lap at very steady pace to make sure that nobody gets dropped
· through and off practice at slow speed
· climbing practice - 2 people at a time practice out of the saddle the whole way, in the saddle, which gear to use, etc.
· sprint lead outs (if there are not too many people around)
· cornering practice
· riding in a group and putting your arm round the person next to you to have a look over your shoulder and not have a wobble
· sign language – arm signals, etc.
· people standing on the side handing out bottles and learning how to hand out bottles and take them from the side
Sunday 27th March - Surrey Ride with Twickenham CC
- meet at 9.15am at the Twickenham CC clubhouse, All Hallows Church Hall, Erncroft Way, Twickenham
- depart at 9.30 for ride towards Windlesham, Surrey
- tea stop at Fairoaks Airport
- total distance, 40miles - terrain flat/gently undulating,
- groups according to ability/pace
Further details of the rides will be posted here and on the websites of the hosting clubs.
To register for a ride or if you have any queries email:
NB: For all the rides, bring at least 2 spare inner tubes, pump, drink, food, helmet and clothing for cold/damp weather conditions, money and mobile phone. Please check your bike is in good working order before coming on the ride.
All riders must follow the Highway Code at all times and not abuse other road users. Every rider is responsible for their own safety and takes part in the cycle rides at their own risk.